Monday, June 23, 2008

A bite of the Big Apple








With the help of some of the grandparents this past weekend Brian and I were able to get away to NYC for a long weekend. We had 3 days in the city and pretty much did everything we wanted to do on this trip. Friday after checking into our hotel, we ventured into the city to walk around, check out Times Square and walk up 5th Avenue. We finally snagged a table at Serendipity3 (which we failed to get in last time). We were not hungry for dinner yet but decided to try the world famous frrrroozzzen hot chocolate. It was a huge goblet meant to be shared. Pretty good, the first couple sips and then I wasn't so impressed. I'm glad I went but wouldn't wait to go back there.


Saturday, Brian met his college friends and went to Yankee Stadium to see the Yankees play one more time in the original stadium. I decided to skip the game and met up with my friend who now lives in the city. We ate lunch in SoHo and did some shopping. I met up with Brian and his crew after the game and we went to Chinatown for dinner and went to Rice to Riches for dessert (think Ice cream shop, but instead of 24 varieties of ice cream at one time, 24 varieties of rice pudding). Very funky place, awesome dessert.

Sunday, Brian's friend told us how you can score cheap show tickets. The process is called Rush and it is basically a lottery. 2 hours before a show, the box office lets you put your name in a bucket and they draw anywhere from 12-20 tickets and if you are called you get to see the show for $20 and you sit in the front row. We took our chance with Avenue Q, which we both wanted to see. The second pick was Brian's name so we were thrilled. The show was hysterical. Think Sesame Street for mature audiences over 18.

On the way home we stopped at Harold's deli on the New Jersey turnpike for the most gigantic portions of sandwiches and other Jewish fare you can imagine. There is no words describe the portions they serve. Brian and I ordered one sandwich to share and we still took home enough for 3 more sandwiches.

We got home last night and the kids had fun with the grandparents. So, a good time had by all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jill
So glad to see you are back blogging again. Check out to see what is going on on both my sites.
I also wanted to invite you to Lilian's bday. Can you email me your address so I an send you an invite. I hope we can see you all then. Stay in touch. Lynna