Wednesday, August 20, 2008

For a Good Cause...

Cancer has unfortunately been part of our family. I remember my aunt dying from breast cancer at the age of 38. My grandfather died from stomach cancer and my dad has had both thyroid and prostate cancer. Brian's family has had it's share too..his mom is a survivor of breast cancer and his grandfather died of cancer. I myself had a big breast cancer scare in 2004. It has been an affliction we have been unable to avoid. When it comes to charitable contribution, the American Cancer Society always takes priority in our family. For the past 18 months Sophie has been growing her hair in order to donate to "Locks for Love". The charity takes donated hair to make into wigs for people who have lost their hair through chemotherapy. It has been a long 18 months and it seems like it took forever to grow..but today was the day we did the big cut. We figured the timing was right..starting school next week with a fresh new hair cut.



She was very excited to lop off the ponytail. She knew she was doing good for someone else, plus she was ridding herself of the long mane that always seemed to knot up and put her in tears when combing.

Afterwards we went to the mall for some shopping. Sophie worked up the nerve to get her ears pierced! Once I paid, she chickened out and started crying. Her response to the technician was "leave me alone, I never did this before, I'm only five years old!". With some coaxing and bribing I was able to calm her down and get her to sit in the chair and get it done! She barely cried and was quite pleased with the end result!

What a day for Sophie!

No comments: